Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Things Doc Probably Didn’t Tell You



I’ve received such great feedback on this blog. I’ve been pretty much done with it but it seems that many people still ask me questions, which is great! Alot are already answered throughout my blog but since people ask them frequently, I thought to create a list of things that might help. If you want a topic added here, let me know and I’ll try to keep this updated.

1. RUNNING / WORKING OUT
It was about 7 months before I could be active. At about 4 months, I went out with heels and was in so much pain before I even got out of the car, I almost started to cry. So after 4 months it was only flats and no heels for months after. About 9 months after surgery I wore either flat boots or a VERY small 1 inch wedge boot.

When you go in for your consultation, you’ll likely ask your doctor how long it takes to heal. I would personally multiply their answer by 2, even 3 and expect that to be a more realistic healing time. Especially if you’re doing both feet, in my opinion. I TAKE IT BACK, I WOULD MULTIPLY BY 4 !

2. REFLEXES
My reflexes were SO bad for months after surgery. I was so careful crossing the street. I didn’t have the reaction time in my feet that I needed to move quickly. A friend noticed my apprehension and said, “wow you're a really careful street crosser!” haha.

3. WEARING HEELS
I can wear heels now, but I’m smarter about them. I won’t wear platforms to work, I’ll wear Aerosoles. If they’re not comfortable, I do not own them. You can make Aerosoles look current! I have going out shoes, but I stick with wedges and 3 inch max heels for daily wear. Espadrille wedges are great, they absorb the shock when you walk and give you height. I wear sandals now, but typically a caged gladiator. I have a fear of people stepping on my bare toes! The worse shoes are patent leather. They do NOT stretch at ALL and hurt. ADDING ON TO THIS POST: after an awesome post from a reader named Val, I want to add that the closed shoes I was able to wear after surgery were hideous. This is because they have to be extra extra wide.

4. BENDING JOINTS ONE OF THE THINGS YOU MAY NOT BE TOLD!!!
My joints never bent the same again. My toes are straight and stiff. Hurts like hell if you bang your toe. I didn’t expect it when I was going in for the procedure, so it’s good to know. The movement I do have is ever so slight it’s not even worth mentioning.

5. SOMETHING THAT CONFUSED ME
After surgery I was told to rub/massage my joints and try to manipulate my toe by forcing it to bend. That was suppose to help keep some mobility in my joints. But when I went to see my doctor months later, I told her my joints weren’t bending and she said that she didn’t want them to. Because if they bend, the hammertoe would return. I can understand that, but I wonder, why was I massaging my toes then? And why didn’t I know I wouldn’t be able to move my toe BEFORE I went in to have surgery? I love my doctor, but if I’m being honest here, then those are thoughts I did have. I agree with a comment left by a reader, this is no small detail! I would never think to ask my doctor if my toes wouldn’t be able to bend after. That’s like going in for a nose job and having to ask if you'd still have the ability to smell.

6. HEALING
After a week the stitches were out, then the yucky black scabs have to heal, then the soreness and swelling, which took the longest. My healing before I could do physical things like workout classes was about 7 months.

7. FLOPPY / DISCONNECTED FEELING TOES
After surgery my toes, especially the one near the pinky, felt “floppy”. Like there was no bone connecting my toe to my body, like it just floated in my skin. That floppy feeling was scary and people have written to me about it. That feeling went away and the toe got stronger, even though it seemed like it was impossible.

8. PAIN
This wasn't a pain free surgery. It was bearable, with some higher points of pain where I didn't expect them. When I woke up from the surgery I felt heat emitting from my feet and they felt very heavy, like 2 cinder blocks. When my bandages were first taken off a week later, that was the highest amount of pain for me. The bandage was stuck to my wound (dried blood) so when it was taken off, it pulled at my incisions. Had I known it would have been so painful to do a bandage change, I would have asked for a numbing shot. I can’t ever put that feeling into words. I cried. I think I was even traumatized. The other pain that was more constant was more a soreness. 2 years later and counting, I still ache if I’m on my feet for a long time (like a 3 hour dance class, but maybe everyone’s feet hurt after that).

9. MY DOCTOR
Someone asked me what my doctor’s name is and I responded in the comment section initially. I’ve since deleted it. I want to be honest here, and I don’t want to worry about censoring myself. I love my doctor, but I don’t want to publicize her name and practice. If you want to know my doctor’s name, I’ll think about it and consider emailing her name if you ask me for it (she’s downtown in NYC).

10. SHOTS
I had one session of shots to help with the pain in my joints. I can’t remember if it helped the pain but I know my toes changed ever so slightly in appearance. I didn’t like it. Those two toes are ALWAYS swollen now.

11. MY OPINION
If you’re psychologically bothered by something or in pain from your condition and you have the ability to fix it, I think it’s worth looking into. I think you should know all the facts and unfortunately, we aren’t always given them. I hope you can educate yourself before making a decision that requires healing that I find to be extensive with permanent changes to your body.

12. REGRETS
2 years later, no I don’t have any that I can think of. There were things that I didn’t expect but I’m glad the pain I had from corns that rubbed and toes that were too long for a shoe is gone. Now I walk over 2 miles daily at minimum and I wouldn’t have been able to if I still had painful bumps on my toes. But that's not to minimize the healing process, I did not enjoy it.

Those are things I think people should prepare themselves for before having the procedure because they possibly won't be prepared by a doctor. I hope this helps!

3 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I just had this same surgery two weeks ago and had my stitches removed today. I feel ever more confident about having the surgery after reading your blog two months ago. Your 2 month picture really inspired me. I see you posted a two year picture which is great. I have to be honest and say I hope there is something I can do to prevent the toes from bending in the wrong direction. My 3rd toe already looks like it's headed there but I thought it was because the gauze was stuck in-between for two weeks. Now I see that it can be permanent. I thank you for keeping this blog. Years of hiding my feet from boyfriends, friends, at the beach, at the pool, and severely impacting my fashion with the lack of sandals is OVER. My best friends did not see my feet for 6 years and even when they did it was forced. Eventfully I got older & started to created custom toe rings to cover my problem area so I could wear some form of a modest sandal but even that was full proof. I was so self conscious the I would give away my fear by hiding my feet behind my legs when sitting of sit awkwardly at the pool side on trips with my girls and their girls who were "not in my circle." I just didn't want to deal with the questions or stares. This surgery, only two weeks in, has changed my entire life. I had 8 out of 10 toes done and no regrets at all.

    Thanks again and best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I hope your progress has been substantial since you last wrote ! :D

      Delete
  2. Good lord I wish I had seen your blog 8 weeks ago! My doctor never told me I wouldn't be able to bend my toe! I actually didn't even think I need to hav the hammertoe part but she convinced me I did. My toe was flat and I have a photo of it. She said my joint was dislocated. I didn't really see that either... I didn't follow my gut and I am totally regretting allowing her to mess with my second toe. My pain was not severe and she insisted this would make it go away. But never once mentioned until now about the fact that she didn't want my toe to move and that is what the pin would do. I'm terrified about what is gonna happen now :-( please people ask questions and do your research as tootsie is saying.

    ReplyDelete