Friday, February 12, 2010

28 Days Later...

It's been 28 days since my surgery. I still can't walk very fast and pretty much limp or what I call "waddle" wherever I go, with little to no pressure on my toes. But I'm basically home alot, blah :/ Everyday is like groundhog day. I eat, shower, put medicine on my incisions and change my bandages. The other day I showered for the 1st time standing up. It's not that I couldn't, but balancing is not easy because there is ZERO strength in my toes. In fact, I tried standing on my bed the other day and I couldn't because toes extend back a little when you stand on a bed (try it, you never think about it but they do! Toes really are here for a reason lol!). I think about things that I can't do, like running, and I can't wait to "try" it again. I really do miss being mobile and have been somewhat humbled by this experience. In New York City everyone, (yikes -incuding me), moves so fast you either keep the pace or get run over. I hope I can slow down and take a look at where it is I am rushing to in the future because people have almost run me over. LITERALLY.

Tomorrow I see my doctor about whether I can return to work next week. My biggest discomfort about returning to work, aside of course from my snail pace and 5 bandaged toes, is my coworkers asking OVER AND OVER "oh my god, are you ok!, what happend?". I'm still thinking about how I will respond (or lie, ha!). I know people are genuinely concerned but "my feet, my business" :) Hey I like that response... TTYL!

5 comments:

  1. After 28 days.. did you doctor recommend that you start trying to use your toes more? Did she say that the more you walk on them, the easier it gets? By the way, I loveeee you blog :) i have been thinking about surgery since the day I realized my toes were very different and very long. I won't even buy a pair of sandals. I have had many people actually comment on my toes which is so annoying really. It is my third toes that is extremely long which is so rare ugh! I sometimes think to myself, "you should just love your poor little toes", but i just hate them and I can't help it! I never ever get pedicures because the one time I did, the lady literally looked at me and laughed. I walked right out. The nerve of people huh? But like you, my feet are the only thing on my body that I do not take care of! I would rather not even look at them myself. My family is against the surgery. I really appreciate you taking the time to write such an informative blog! Please know it has helped me tremendously. Please please please let me know how everything is now.. Can you finally bend your toes, run, exercise? Thank you again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie!
    I will post a new blog about how they are right now. I'm happy you're reading and I totally understand how you feel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tootie!
    It's been almost 8 wks since I've had foot surgery on 2 metatarsals on each foot, and only 5 wks since my toe shortening on both feet. I'm not working and don't move around a lot. I've been quite the house prisoner! Anyway, depression is starting to creep up on me. I spend almost all of my time laying down in bed or on the couch. At first, I wasn't able to really drive myself around anywhere. Now I can drive myself without the pain, but I've actually lost the motivation to want to get myself out of bed! Everyday is like a battle for me! It takes so much hard work for me to find motivation to drag myself outta bed! Did you experience this? If so, how did you handle it?
    -Shereese U.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shereese,

    I wish I would have read your comment earlier, sorry fr the VERY late reply but I couldn't remember my password!! I hope you're feeling much better.

    I had a terrible depression / cabin fever when I had this surgery but the greatest thing is, once I healed I had a zest for life I hadn't felt before. I wanted to walk as far as I could, run in the park, dance. I joined classes and I worked out because once I could again, I had an appreciation I didn't have before. I hope you're well, I'd love to hear how it turned out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tootie!
    Well, I'm still not working due to the bad economy. I'm currently back in school working on my R.N. (I'm currently an L.V.N.). I was suffering from depression pretty bad. I was in and out of urgent care a few weeks ago for it. But by God's grace, I'm a lot better! However, my results from the surgery didn't turn out so well. My toes look worse than they did before I had surgery. I don't look at my feet much anymore, because it just gets me soooooo upset! I've gone through so much pain! I still have pain up until now and I'm 6 months post op!! I'm sorry I chose the Dr. I chose! But thanks for you concern. I hope you're a lot more satisfied with your surgery than I am with mine.

    ReplyDelete