Saturday, August 4, 2012

Toes that Lean

I thought about not posting a current "after" pic at one time. That the pictures I'd posted soon after surgery were enough. But I wanted to be honest about how I healed and show how with time, my result had changed. That said, my after picture showed that one of the toes on my left foot leans a bit to the side. I wrapped my toes for months, it felt like forever, but that still didn't prevent it. They're bump free and MUCH shorter (hallelujah) but I wouldn't call them perfect. If you're considering having the surgery, ESPECIALLY if you're paying thousands out of pocket, you should consider that and maybe ask your doctor if/how you can prevent it. I believe my doctor cut a slit in each bone on the side of my toe. I don't remember the reasoning. But I think that "leaning" is from not having a bone there to support the side of my toe. Maybe if someone has screws or uses pins during healing, that won't happen, I don't know. But on the bright side, I could always say they're throwing up peace signs. :)

5 comments:

  1. Hi Tootie! I had hammer toe surgery on my big toe as well as 3 toes shortened a week ago today. I followed your blog before making my final decision to have the surgery. Your feet look great! The 1st four days were a little painful...well more of a numbing and the throbbing you get with swelling but I'm proud to say I have been off the pain meds for 3 days. I will be glad when I get the pins out and my doctor put a cast on my foot for the sake of my big toe healing properly. I am very anxious to see what my feet look like under the cast. My doctor only does one foot at a time so I am scheduled to have my 2nd foot done in about 4 weeks. I am not looking forward to it. I just wanted to thank you for creating your blog. You have really helped me and given me hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You're smarter than I was! Sometimes I think I should have done one at a time but I have an impatient streak. Good luck, I'd love to hear about how you progressed!

      Delete
  2. Thank you! I am now 5 months into my healing. I still have a small amount of pain & swelling. I'm hoping soon my foot will look a bit more normal soon. I decided to move slow on my 2nd foot due to the discomfort I was still feeling. I'm scheduled to have my 2nd foot done on April 2nd. I'm trying to mentally prepare myself to go through it a 2nd time. Do you recall how far along you were when you noticed how short your toes were?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tootie...I am thankful for your blog as well as the others who shared their experience. Exactly one week ago I had my 2nd and 4th toe shortened on my left foot. I will be doing my right foot in a few weeks. So far I had no pain whatsoever. I'm not complaining at all but I wonder if its normal LOL. Hopefully my right foot goes just as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate my feet and am considering toe-shortening surgery. What do people think?
    http://lillylongtoe.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete